Brief History of the Greek-Revival home known as Lane Place
Lane Place was a private home until 1939 when Helen Elston Smith (Joanna Lane’s niece) died and willed the house and its contents to the Montgomery County Historical Society. Since then it has been a museum open to the public. 95% of the furnishings belonged to the Lanes or the Elston family (Joanna’s family).
White 1845 to 1881
Gray in 1881 in mourning of Henry Lane’s passing
Pink after Helen renovated it into an Italianate villa
Yellow from 1920 to 1945
White from 1945 to present